HEADER IMAGE
 
Categories
box
CLEARANCE ITEMS

NEW PRODUCTS

New Weber Carbs->

Vintage Weber Carbs->

Weber Conversion Kits->

Jets & Venturi->

Manifolds & Adaptors->

Gaskets & Mounting->

Linkages->

Air Filters->

Air Horns (Ram Tubes)->

Service Kits

Tuning Tools & Books->

Replacement Parts->

Fuel Delivery->

Dell'Orto Parts & Jets

Engine Management

Race Parts

Weber Merchandise

View All Products ->

All Products sorted by Categories ->

All Products sorted by Manufacturers ->

box

Information

Shopping Cart
box
0 items
box
 

Information
box
Weber Reconditioning
Tip sheets & Information
Weber Carb Diagrams
Genuine Weber Carbs
The History of Weber
Privacy
Terms & Conditions
Shipping & Returns
Weber Performance TV - Videos, Reviews & Tutorials
About Us
Guide to Buying Used Weber Carburettors
Customer's Cars & Carburettor Gallery
Contact Us
box
 
The History of Weber HEADING_TITLE

Historic Weber Logo 

Its founder,  EDOARDO WEBER, was born in Turin in 1889, from a Swiss father and his mother came from Piemonte in North Italy. He graduated in Mechanical engineering at the university of Turin, then moved to Bologna in 1913 working as foreman in the local FIAT subsidiary.

His great competence in the mechanical field together with a strong entrepreneurial personality led him after the first World War to establish  the 'Fabbrica Italiana Carburatori Weber' company, together with a group of friends.

Eduardo Weber

The first product of the company was a carburettor with vaporizer for trucks.

Later, thank to continuous research in the combustion engine charger field, he invented a new type of carburettor called the Econo Supercharger, the first sidedraft double-throat carburettor.

Thank to this technology, the company, after few early difficulties, soon became the reference point for all its market competitors.

Weber & Ferrari

The great commercial success producing components for mass production cars encouraged Weber to try the risky but challenging race-car market

Weber won the race challenge and due to that, during the 1920-1930 decade, the carburettors produced by Weber company equipped the most famous and winning automotive manufacturers worldwide, first of all Maserati and Alfa Romeo.

The deep dedication to car racing led to a high level technological research which resulted in the production of pieces of  excellent quality; surely it should be mentioned among the double-throat carburettor, the double-float chamber carburettor that was able to maintain the fuel supply to the cylinder always all-constant, preventing in this way from the negative effects of the centrifugal power on the bend.

Between 1936 and 1937 FIAT, in order to reduce its dependency from the French SOLEX carburettors monopoly, decided to test Weber carburettors on its cars.

Considering the positive results, Weber and FIAT signed an agreement that ratify the position of Weber in FIAT scope.

Subsequently to this agreement the new plant in via del Timavo was built

After the tragic and mysterious death of Edoardo Weber on May 17th 1945, FIAT increase its involvement in the company assets, so as to assume the control of it: at this point FIAT put one of its main representatives in charge of the company.

In the period following the second World War, the company steadied as market leader in carburettor production, however, the real turning point took place in 1956, when Citroèn asked the Weber company to solve some serious induction problems of its key model, the DS 19.

Weber solved  all  Citroèn difficulties with great reliability and commitment.

The result of the excellent work was extraordinary: the company gained respect and appraisal, paving the way to the wide European market.

In the years ‘50 and ‘60, thank to the economic boom, the company needed to covert itself to face the production increase and to adjust to the new laws about emissions control which appeared in those years for the first time.

For this purpose a new wing was built in the plant in via del Timavo and consequently the foundry was moved to Crevalcore.

During the seventies the company development started slowing down, due to FIAT economic difficulties as well as to the International energy crisis following the Yom Kippur war in 1973.

In order to overcome this critical situation and to improve the company position, the Weber top management decided to totally reorganize the company around the eighties.

The management understood that it was now necessary to locate the plant close to the automotive manufacturers production sites, since the automotive market at that point was going through a moment of hectic development (the concept of World Car was established in this period).

It was at this point that the Weber company took over controlling stakes in local companies in Brazil, USA and Spain. The company in this way turned from a small body shop in Bologna, into a multinational company.

In 1986 FIAT, after signing an agreement with the producer MATRA, took over the control of SOLEX, that had been the main competitor of Weber for almost 60 years.

The decade '80-90' was certainly a crucial period for the Automotive industry because of the pervasive advent of electronic technology.

This technological revolution together with the more and more strict laws regarding polluting emissions led to the end of the carburettor.

The last Weber carburettor was produced at the Bologna plant in 1992.

It was at this point that the Weber company was sold and all the original manufacturing equipment and tooling was moved to Spain where production once again resumed of the most popular models. Weber carburettors are now manufactured to ISO9001 standards by a global automotive manufacturer.

Continue